Tuesday, July 31, 2012

22 May 2012: Circular Quay, Parramatta River and a night in Sydney

22 May 2012 (Tue): It was time to bid farewell to Watsons Bay.

Sydney Opera House. Taken from the ferry.


During autumn, the skies in Sydney turn dark pretty early. By about 5.30 p.m. in the evening, the sun would have set!

Circular Quay. Before the sun sets.

I had wanted to take a ferry ride from Circular Quay to Parramatta, along the Parramatta River. I diligently followed the ferry schedule and yet for some strange reason, I had missed the last ferry that would head to Parramatta! I still could not figure out how I could have missed the express ferry to Parramatta. In the end, I took the ferry would take passengers along the Parramatta River up till Meadowpoint wharf, and then return to Circular Quay.

22 May 2012: Harbour Bridge. Taken from a ferry to Meadowpoint.

When I was on the ferry, I made my way to the open-air upper deck of the ferry. On the upper deck, I could not help but be delighted by the fresh air and the beautiful scenery. The wind was blowing against my face and it was getting rather cold. Recognizing that the skies would soon turn dark, I did my best possible to admire the scenery around me. I marvelled at the beauty of the evening skies.

Evening of 22 May 2012 from the ferry.

For at least half of the journey, I was the only passenger on the upper deck of the ferry. Perhaps it was just simply too cold to be on the upper deck. I felt I was at the mercy of the elements when I was sitting on the upper deck. Nevertheless, it was an experience that was in some ways therapeutic. Although I was at the mercy of the elements, I felt relatively safe. If the wind was too cold, I could find shelter and warmth at the lower deck of the ferry which was sheltered from the elements. I felt thankful that I could at least travel along a part of the Parramatta River. This river is the main tributary of the Sydney Harbour, a branch of Port Jackson.


22 May 2012: Gladesville Bridge. Taken from a ferry.

When the ferry brought me back to Circular Quay, I took a stroll about the area. It appeared that the area near Circular Quay and the Sydney Opera House was getting ready for Vivid Sydney. Near Cadmans Cottage, I was curious to see a number of people waiting with a gentleman in a strange dark costume. I learnt that they were waiting for one of The Rocks Ghost Tours to start. Advanced reservation was required to join the tour, and so I had given it a miss.

I found a nice and quiet spot near Park Hyatt Sydney to enjoy the views of the Sydney Opera House and the Harbour Bridge. It was simply a blessing to slow down and make time to marvel at the beauty that was around me. Life is great!

Museum of Contemporary Art. Preparing for Vivid Sydney 2012.

22 May 2012: Cadmans Cottage

The day had been full of twists and turns. It was a day of learning to receive help, to ask for help, to find my way about in a foreign land, to learn to listen to the intuition, to learn to trust that all will be well in the end, and to learn to have faith that I will be safe despite all the unexpected delays and detours. I was learning to enjoy the scenery and the beauty of each moments despite things not going according to my plans and original intentions.

One thing to be grateful for was that I was safe and sound in a foreign land. My words of gratitude to the people who were looking out for me and/or were lending me their help in one way or another. Thank you!

***
Transport Info 131500
http://www.131500.com.au

***
Parramatta River
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parramatta_River
Parramatta River Walk

***
Also see:
25 May 2012: My first experience of Vivid Sydney
18 Nov 2010: Cruise along the Parramatta River

Also visit: Sydney, May 2012: A time to heal and to be inspired.

No comments: